Bipolar me, while I don’t necessarily want gifts to celebrate our love or the holidays, if a butch buys me a gift it better be something nice and beautifully presented instead of some crap I didn’t want that she didn’t even gift wrap with the receipt still in the bag. First and foremost, if you are planning to do some Valentine’s Day shopping for your babycakes and s/he has given you a list, stick to it. Second, if you are feeling generous yet clueless, here are a few ideas:
– A new pair of knee high black leather boots – I think they now make faux leather versions for vegan or eco-friendly femmes.
– Any kind of fancy, furry, and warm hat or pair of gloves, scarf or handbag – think Chinatown and Bryant Park’s winter market.
– A cute frame to put a picture of you two or her favorite niece.
– A tea pot and accessories.
– Anything by Anne Taintor. I mean ANYTHING. Her shopping or tote bags, magnets, postcards, mini notes, pill boxes, and flasks are TO DIE FOR. Her cosmetic bags double as a purse! (Can you tell I really want one?)
– Books – buying anything on her Amazon wish list is the safest bet. I recommend “stealing” the books from her wish list and buying local to support women/LGBT owned bookstores like Bluestockings (NYC) or Giovanni’s Room (Philadelphia).
– Theater tickets – Broadway, off-Broadway, off off-Broadway, even your local school’s play.
– Sports tickets – hockey, basketball or whatever makes your sweet pie happy.
– Anything Hello Kitty – from flavored lip gloss to t-shirts or handbags (Yours Truly prefers tote bags), hit the official Sanrio Hello Kitty store (233 West 42nd Street, New York, NY 10036. Tel: 212 840 6011) or JC Penney, Rainbow, Kmart, and other stores where t-shirts start at $8.
– Lingerie – Victoria’s Secret, La Senza, La Perla, Lane Bryant… femmes of all sizes will be happy to model one or many sexy little numbers for you.
– Sexy and funny underwear – if your butch likes to grab life by its horns and live each day like their last, s/he will love Piss & Vinegar designs.
– Artsy, one of a kind cufflinks from Etsy, flea markets, or antique stores.
– Fedoras, ties, bowties, and even socks (you can never go wrong with argyle socks!).
– LSM membership card ($30 the last time I checked).
– An iPad or Galaxy Tab.
– An iPod, a JVC RV-NB50 Kaboom thingy, and Audio-Technica ATH-ANC27 headphones.
– A Mont Blanc fountain pen – so many faboosh options to choose from. My favorite pens are the Greta Garbo or the Virginia Woolf for femmes, and the Marlene Dietrich or the Mark Twain for butches.
– A Levenger leather jacket bomber portfolio.
– Power tools – I’m lost in this department. I’m assuming your butch will have given you hints or a list. Get it and go to Home Depot, Loews or Sears before they run out of whatever.
Third, if you are broke, you can never go wrong with dinner at home and a heartfelt letter saying why you love her. Also, you can always recycle some of my free Christmas gifts ideas.