Want to give back these holidays? Here are a few ideas:
– Sylvia’s Place needs your help. Due to a number of new youth going to the shelter, they are running low on toiletry supplies including: tooth paste, tooth brushes, shampoo, conditioner, bar soap, shaving cream, razors, deodorant, hand sanitizer, brushes, combs, tampons (regular, super, super plus), and sanitary napkins (heavy, normal, panty liners). Bedding and warm clothing is always useful. Gift cards to Target, Starbucks, AMC Theatres, Old Navy, Macy’s, etc will be welcomed as well (it’s Xmas after all and these kids deserve some gifts!). If you are able to donate any of these times, they can be dropped off at 446 West 36th Street between 11 am and 9 pm Tuesday-Friday or mailed to them at MCCNY Homeless Youth Services, 446 West 36th Street, New York, NY 10018. All donations are tax deductible! If you have any questions, please contact Frances Wood, MCCNY Charities Administrator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
– If you want to help Long islanders recover from Sandy, here is a calendar of hands-on volunteering opportunities.
– Over the last 40 years, the Nuyorican Poets Cafe has served as a home for groundbreaking works of poetry, music, theater, and visual arts. During Hurricane Sandy, the Cafe lost its heating system and many of the students and artists the Cafe serves are still struggling in the aftermath of the storm. Donations of any size will be hugely appreciated.
– Please consider making a donation to Breast Cancer Action. Founded by women living with and dying from breast cancer, Breast Cancer Action provides access to information free of industry influence. Your donation, big or small, helps them remain the fearless independent voice of women affected by breast cancer.
– Charity begins at home. No, I’m not telling you to blow $900 on the new iPhone or a pair of shoes. I’m telling you to pick up the phone and call that long-term unemployed friend.